Tuesday 12 May 2009

Don't be glum, be glam

I've wanted to go to the Albert Hall for ages and I guess I'll be waiting a while longer now as Morrissey, who I was supposed to be seeing last night, cancelled at the last minute. He's got a doctor's note apparently. I was looking forward to having a seat.

These days I find myself annoyed at the people who push past you to get in or out of the crowd. I hone in on people who stand in front of me talking or texting on their mobile phones throughout the gig. I curse tall people standing directly in front of me. On Thursday the guy standing in front of me looked just like Paul Simeon at the age he would have been the day he joined the Clash, only taller.

On Thursday I went to the Electric Ballroom in Camden to see Art Brut (see expert gig photo above). The last time I was there was twenty years ago to see Birdland (remember them?) with Sue Carpenter (remember her?). It's bigger than I remembered it. It was an older crowd too and I felt we fitted nicely in the middle, not one of the kids, but not one of the oldest ones. You get really polite indie kids at gigs as well who open doors for you. The bouncers could learn a thing or two about manners from these people.

Once the band come on I'm drawn in, excited and charged and all the petty annoyances usually fall away. This worked with Art Brut and even better with Jeffrey Lewis two weeks ago. The main difference wasn't the performance - both Art Brut and Jeffrey Lewis are amazing live - but the fact that young Simeon wasn't standing in front of me for the Jeffrey Lewis gig. Jeff got the crowd to ring him on his new phone. So I've got his number (unless he's changed it already).

After the Electric Ballroom we race to the Buffalo Bar to the aftershow party, where Glam Chops play, fronted by Eddie Argos. Glam Chops are always fantastic. They're trying to get themselves nominated for the 2010 Eurovision Song Contest. Vote for them. Maybe I should ring Jeffrey Lewis and ask him to vote too.

No comments:

Post a Comment