Sunday 9 October 2011

The crabs at San Wo's

Friday 5 0'clock and after a Thursday night out, I'm looking forward to going home, or at least I've convinced myself I am.

Thursday night I was on Jermyn Street, with its independent suit, shoes and cheese shops. I especially liked the cheese shop. It's probably even better when it's open. We were in a hotel at an after meal for a conference Tracy organised. The toilets in the hotel had TV screens above the urinals so you didn't miss any of Sky news. TVs turn up in the weirdest of places these days. At a recent meeting in Canary Wharf the building we were in had TVs in the lift. Also playing Sky news.

I'm going off the point a bit here, not that there is one. Anyway, Friday I leave for home for the weekend but it doesn't quite feel right. Leaving work on Friday should be one of the best feelings of the week but this Friday it's not quite that. People are still working as I leave. I get home and pretty soon I'm feeling restless. It's my own fault. I was invited to a cocktail bar and an indie night but declined both. I want to wake up sober. You don't get that privilege after a night at a cocktail bar. Anyway the restless feeling won't go away; I try pizza, a selection of friday night songs, I feed the fish, none of it works.

Then I hit upon the solution. I put on the Madness DVD, which has the music videos for all their singles. Madness videos if you haven't seen them, or have forgotten them, are pure joy. The nutty dancing, the toy saxophone, band members flying through the air, the two tone clothes. Do you remember Woody Allen's list of things that make life worth living, in Manhattan? If I ever compiled that list for myself the Madness videos would have to go on. The odd thing is the DVD is not currently available in the shops. They need to bring it back. If anyone asks the cure for friday night blues, it's Madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment