Sunday 11 November 2012

The postman always knocks at ten past seven



Buying music is becoming harder to do, the music shops are disappearing. It's about a two hour round trip to my favourite record shop and it may also be my nearest. I like downloads but not as the only option. If I download something I feel I missed out on an integral part of the process. It's like where is it, why can't I touch it? Increasingly I find myself ordering records and I do like the fact you usually get a download version or a CD version with it as well. The last one I ordered was the BMX Bandits in Space LP. Take a listen. 

The thing is when the postman delivers LPs he turns up at 7.10 am, always the exact same time. I had to put a sign on the door for him to knock loudly because he was a bit timid. Not any more. He nearly knocked the door down this time. It seems to only be records he delivers at ten past seven though. One evening I came home from work to find a huge box outside our house taking up most of the pavement. It was a plant we'd received as a gift. The postman had put a card through our door at mid-day to tell us he'd left the parcel in the porch. We don't have a porch. 

I forgot the joy of vinyl for a long time. Too many cheap record players, too many records played late on drunken nights with people knocking into the stereo. I took records back all the time. On its release I bought Pulp's 'His & Hers' on record but it jumped. I took it back to Penny Lane Music in Liverpool where I'd bought it, and told the guy. He asked which track and then put that track on his record player. It played perfectly. I sheepishly asked to change it for the tape. 

When I was fifteen I loved going to record shops in Brighton and thankfully a lot of those same record shops are still running. In some of them you still get served by the same person. In Portsmouth they have a pie and vinyl shop which sounds amazing. And they have Hovercrafts. Must get there soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment