Thursday 5 February 2009

The wrong fridge


So, for my evening meal I am supposed to be having pork chops. I think about them all the way home from work, as I try not to slip over on the ice, the cold chilling my bones. It isn't until I walk through the front door that I realise the pork chops, the integral part of my meal, are still in the fridge at work. Should I walk back to work or should I make something out of the scraps I have left in my cupboard?

No, I decide I shall reward myself for my forgetfulness. I shall celebrate my ineptitude. I go to the burger bar round the corner on Haverstock Hill and buy myself a ridiculously expensive blue cheese burger with chips. Then I run home so I can eat my food before it goes cold. This is only half successful, my food being lukewarm by the time I sit on my bed to eat it.

£10.20 that meal cost. Not the cheapest burger and chips available, but very nice nevertheless. Perhaps, if the recession is as bad as they hint and I end up unemployed and penniless I will think back to this moment with a shudder of regret. Perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment