Saturday 27 February 2010

Oh! Sweet Nuthin'


Sometimes it takes all day for anything to happen to lift you from the drabness of another rainy day. Tuesday, I didn't feel alright until the Sweeney started at 8pm. It's funny because watching them now you can see simple plot twists; like who's the insider for the gang, and the fact some characters are allowed to get away for a bit so they can add in an extra car chase - sure TV has evolved and 70s TV was just as good and just as rubbish as now - but you've got to hand it to John Thaw as Jack Reagan. Lines like: ' why are you lot standing around like a motorway breakfast?' are priceless. I can never imagine anyone else as Jack Reagan. The voice, the attitude, the whiskey in the office drawer. For my money John Thaw is up there with Leonard Rossiter and Tom Baker, when you talk 70s TV.

But back to the 21st century and on pay day I'm in a fantastic mood for almost 45 minutes before the working day spoils everything. I get to the bank, draw out some money and then once I make a list of all my outgoings, realise I'm going to be broke in a few days. Back into the overdraft for a while, then living on sweet nuthin'. I've been overdrawn for months, and despite loads of nights of staying in, I can't get myself out of the red. I was pondering this for a while, then the working day really kicked in and names had to be added to the enemies list.

Sometimes the week is so bad you forget to notice the guy letting you go by first on the stairs, don't notice that the train pulls into the station exactly as you arrive at the bottom of the steps, and its doors open as if just for you and there's a seat free too. You just want to get home, lock the door shut against the wolves and hope the weekend has some magic to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment