Tuesday 16 February 2010

Sky fell in on me, cloud caught me across the cheek


Last Saturday early evening we were driving into Brighton. It was all there in front of us, the pier lit up against the black of the night sea. We never stopped, there was nowhere to park. Close, but never touching. On the way back into London at 9.30, all the hairdressers in south London were still open.

This weekend I'm being drawn like a magnet into Dalston. I'm doing someone a favour from work, dropping off their band equipment in nearby Stoke Newington. I drift into Dalston and a couple of turnings later I'm outside a familiar house. This is where they filmed Naked. It's a strange house; there's a few together on their own island between three streets. It looks exactly as it does in the film, nobody, thankfully, has come over to spruce it up.

In the evening I'm back in Dalston at Barden's Boudoir to see Veronica Falls. Their website says get there early because the bands are on early. So I'm there for 8.30. The band come on sometime after 11.30. It's a strange club. There's a mix of 80's looking kids and student types, I think. It's hard to tell, it's dark in that place. The music is a mix of rap and rave music. Has music all melded into one now, do the kids like everything? Waiting for the band to come on stage I'm knocked into by girls dancing to rave. Eventually the band shuffle on and chiming guitars and girl-boy vocals abound. I like them, they only seem to have a handful of songs, the guitarist has problems with his classic guitar and it cuts out a few times. They start a song only to re-start it thirty seconds later, but it adds to the entertainment and it all comes through. Thank goodness for shambling indie.

Walking up Stoke Newington High Street to get the bus at midnight and all the florists are still open. Shame, I need a haircut.

No comments:

Post a Comment