Thursday 31 December 2009

You Were Right

And so here we are, at the end of the year, the end of the decade. It's been eventful. I was in Liverpool the other day and visited two work friends, Paul and Andy. I like meeting those two, we just clicked right back in and it was like we were just going off for a mooch around town over a long lunchtime. It was good to be back, but Liverpool didn't feel like home anymore.

I was going to compile a list of my favourite bands, records, books, films this decade, but I haven't and right now I can't think of any films from the last few years. There's two songs that I've absolutely loved and played again and again. The first is 'You were right' by Badly Drawn Boy and the second is 'Emily Kane' by Art Brut. I heard the Badly Drawn Boy record the other day by chance and remembered how good it really was. There's so many brilliant lines in that song. 'I was busy finding answers while you just got on with real life'. And Emily Kane is just fantastic, c'mon it's up there with the Buzzcocks. Here's to Glam Chops recording an album in 2010 and Belle and Sebastian too, and going on tour.

I bought a TV today, the first one in fifteen years. I missed out on the years of the silver TVs with the flatscreens, the plasmas and am now looking at a ridiculously big LCD TV. It scanned for channels and has picked up a whole two channels, after boasting freeview, so obviously the arial on the roof hasn't been keeping up with the times. Looks like I'll have to go with virgin media after all if I want those channels.

I'm staying in tonight with my girlfriend. I guess that's as good a new year as any, avoiding the cold, the queues and the inflated prices in the process. I better go, the dinner is nearly ready. Goodbye to the decade they called the noughties and hello to the start of the tens.

No comments:

Post a Comment